I am a free thinker but I lean towards the teaching of Buddhism

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bucket list & Dream List

When I travel, there are nothing to do on a plane except watching all the movies on Kris World entertainment. One of the movie I like was the Bucket List. This show set me thinking what are the things in life that I hope to do or experience before we leave this world. I drafted my bucket list about 4 years ago:
  • buy a sports car (porsche would be nice) :)
  • travel with my family and parents at least twice a year :)
  • built my dream house (semi-d, land area > 4K sq ft) :)
  • retire at 40 with passive income of at least 20K / month :)
  • plan my will and probate just in case I kick the bucket for whatever reason :)
  • get my 2A/B bike licence :(
  • travel to all the exotic places in Asia (e.g. Cambodia (Ankor Wat), Lombok, Myanmar, Nepal (Kathmandu), Vietnam (HCM, Hanoi...) :(
  • learn to dance (never been on the dance floor) ;)
  • Learn scuba diving :(
  • start a business which I enjoy (must break even) :(
  • provide guidance and support to my children if they want to be a tow kay :(
I am fortune to achieved some of the wishes :). I had worked real hard in the past and I am glad that I can realized so many wishes in my bucket list in the past four years. This bucket list will be expanded when new ideas pop up in my mind.

I also have a dream list and this list has to be far fetch or very difficult to achieve. If they are achievable now, then it is not a dream. For example, a GTR is a super car but not my dream car. A dream car is a car I cannot afford, something like a brand new lambo or Ferrari. It can also be very difficult to achieve due to family circumstances. E.g. seeing the seven wonders of the world can be realized with money but with three young kids, I expect to be tied down by them for at least 15 to 20 years.  
  • See the seven wonders of the world
  • own a brand new super car 
  • built my dream bungalow (land area 10K ft and above)
  • spend half my time living at different countries when my kids are independent
  • retire at with passive income of 100K / month

The list above is difficult to achieve but it doesn't really matter if I don't achieve any of them because it is a DREAM. 

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha! You've watched that Jack Nicholson movie too!?

    Inspiring right?

    Wow! 3 kids!!! You have done your patriotic duty man! We need more Singaporeans like you :)

    Eh? You want to start your own business? I see... Money is money; legacy or sense of accomplishment is another...

    I hope AK is reading this post. He will whine another person younger than him got more millions liao.

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, done my national service and collected all the tax rebate from the gov :)

    I am referring to setting up a business that is fun or related to my interests. I have a few ideas in mind but I am not convince that it will break even.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it's hard to imagine having diffculty to travel around the world with this passive income :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. for travelling round the world, money is not the most important factor. I have three young kids and it is difficult to travel to exotic locations with them. I can only hope that I will not kick the bucket before they are more independent.

    ReplyDelete